Monday, August 23, 2010

Wings: Chapter Two

Skye's P.O.V.

I woke up to Naomi’s soft coos. Whatever I was resting my head on, it was definitely not my pillow. I opened my eyes, and saw Aaron’s chest. I almost fell off the bed when I flinched away. I looked at his face, and he was wide awake, hands behind his head, looking very smug.
“I told you to stay on your side!” I barked at him, furiously shoving my hair out of my face.
He chuckled. “I did. I told you you’d be the one to try something.”
What? No. Impossible. I lay my head on Adam’s chest at night, but…
I pushed him off the bed. He landed with a pleasing thud.
“What’s your problem?” he asked.
I got up and took Naomi out of her crib, ignoring him. “You slept through the whole night for once…”
Aaron fumbled to get to his feet. “She didn’t. You were out cold, so I took the night calls.”
I instantly felt guilty.
“I would understand why you’d be so deep under. Bet I’m a way comfier pillow than Adam.”
That guilt instantly disappeared.
I pushed him back on the bead and went outside to the backyard with Naomi. I let her crawl around for a while, observing the crawling ants that were carrying crumbs of who-knows-what.
Naomi was so adventurous. She was mesmerized by everything. And she was so hyper sometimes. If anyone gave her just the tiniest of smiles, she would start jumping up and down. I remembered the day she was born, how scared I had been, and knew it had been worth the pain the second I laid my eyes on her. I went into labor the last Friday in March, nine o’ clock at night, when I was already getting ready for bed. But then my water broke, and Adam rushed me to the hospital.
When it was time to start pushing, I squeezed Adam’s hand as much as I could.
“I’m scared,” I said wearily. He squeezed back. “You’ll be fine. I know you’ll do great.”
The pain had passed quickly. It was the energy drained from me that had me exhausted. I had fallen asleep, and when my eyes fluttered open, there was Adam holding our baby, a tired but flabbergasted look on his face. He noticed that I was staring at him with the baby, and he smiled. “Do you want to hold her?”
That was kind of ridiculous question. Of course I wanted to. I held out my arms, and he gently laid her in my arms. I pushed the blanket out of her little, chubby face, and the first thing I saw was her wide-open violet eyes. One corner of her little mouth twitched, I smiled with her, almost bursting into tears.
My phone rang; my screen read the name Adam.
“Well, if it isn’t Adam, the man that’s going to get his ass kicked when he comes home.”
“I’m guessing you’re still mad at me,” he chuckled. “I’m sorry, Skye. I really am. I should have asked you first.”
“Damn right you should have,” I muttered. After a few seconds of silence, I spoke.
“So,” I began awkwardly. “How was your flight?”
I could sense him smiling, knowing that I could never really stay mad at him for anything. “Too long,” he groaned. “It gave me a lot of time to think about my two beautiful girls, which made me miss you even more.”
“I’m not a girl,” I told him.
“No, you’re not,” I thought I heard him mumble. But then he said, “You know what I mean. So how did Aaron behave last night?”
I laughed as I pulled Naomi up to sit on my lap. “He was a gentlemen. I’m the one that…I guess I’m so used to using you as my pillow that…well, I-”
“Oh,” he chuckled, realizing my innocent mistake. “Don’t worry about it. Look, I have to go, but I’ll call later, alright? Love you.”
“Love you, too.”
I sighed as I shut my phone. Sundays were already boring enough, and now with Adam gone, it would be excruciating. I needed something to waste time. Play with Naomi, I supposed. I suddenly felt Aaron breathing down my neck, but it felt good. His breath smelled sweet, but minty. Clean, fresh.
“Got any plans?” he asked.
I shook my head no.
“Good. Because we need to find a babysitter for Naomi. We have to go to work tomorrow.” A smug smile was spreading across his face. I groaned. I’d almost forgot. The weekend was over. Time to go back to my waitress job at San Hun Hut…with Aaron. About a year and a half ago, before the wedding, I’d asked Aaron to help me land a job there. There had been a change of plans for a little while because of the…incident. But only a few days after the wedding, he told me I could start once the pregnancy was over and I felt ready.
“What about Diego? He’s off tomorrow.”
Aaron pursed his lips. “I’ll call him.”
He leaned down, his eyes on my neck, and my heart skipped a beat. He did this all the time, always teasing me. It was so annoying, but I couldn’t lie to myself…I liked it, and I hated myself for it. “We should tell him we’re working extra shifts,” he whispered in my ear, the wisp of his breath soothing to my skin. “Get some time alone.”
I swallowed hard. It disturbed me that, for just a split second, I considered this.

No comments:

Post a Comment