Friday, August 20, 2010

Wings: Chapter One

Here it is! Chapters will be posted Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Fair enough?

A few weeks before Elena’s wedding, Adam had been offered a chance to play with his band, Ana Save Me, in Times Square. He turned it down because the date would have been on their honeymoon.
“I’d rather spend time with the woman I love than performing on stage in front of people that might not even like us,” he’d told me.
He didn’t turn it down when he got the chance a second time.
And now here we were, at the airport, with their little girl, already crawling at six months, saying goodbye.
“I’ll be sure to call you as soon as I get there,” he muttered, holding Elena’s hands in his.
“And everyday after that?” she urged.
He attempted a smile. “I’ll try. Whenever I can.”
Elena bit her lip. “Okay.”
Adam sighed. “I keep on telling myself that it’s only four weeks, but the more I say it, the longer it seems.”
She laughed. “Same here. I’ll miss you.”
He winced. Him leaving was just as hard for him as it was for her. “I’ll miss you, too.”
He looked over at me, holding little Naomi as she slept peacefully.
“I just started trusting you again, so don’t do anything stupid,” he demanded firmly.
“No promises,” I said under my breath.
There was an announcement; Adam’s plane was boarding.
I swallowed hard as Adam leaned in for one last kiss with Elena.
When he broke away, he took a deep breath. “Love you.”
“Love you, too,” she whispered back.
He released her hand and bent over to kiss Naomi on the forehead. “I’ll miss you, my little Angel,” he said quietly, not wanting to wake her.
He took one last look at me, then walked over to his gate. He was no longer in sight.
I put a hand on Elena’s shoulder. “C’mon,” I whispered.
It was quiet in the car for a long time, except for Naomi’s soft snores in the back.
“You know,” I began casually, breaking the silence. “You picked the guy with the career that’s going to make your relationship with him impossible.”
She raised an eyebrow. “How so?”
“Well, Naomi has already been keeping you two busy, but if Adam makes it big time, he’ll be even busier.”
“I already thought about that.”
“And?”
She sighed and said nothing.
“Things wouldn’t have been this complicated with me,” I mumbled.
She rolled her eyes.
I parked outside my apartment.
“I just need to get a few of my things.”
“Wha-”
“Didn’t Adam tell you? I’m staying over at your house.” A smirk began to form on my lips. Before she could protest, I disappeared into my apartment.
When I was came back, she was mumbling to herself, sulking. I laughed.
“Don’t worry, it’s just to help with Naomi. It was Adam’s idea; he felt guilty about leaving you alone with the baby and-”
“And he trusted you to stay and help? Out of all people?”
I acted offended by holding a hand up to my heart. “Ouch. Hurtful.”
She sighed gave me a cold stare. “Just don’t try anything.”
I chuckled. “ I won’t need to. A full week with just me, Adam’s twin, and you’ll be the one trying something.”
She smacked me on my knee, but I just laughed. “Since when are you so feisty?”
“Since you became my annoying big brother.”
I smirked. “That’s right, big brother.”
Her eyes narrowed and she held up her hand, clenching and unclenching her fingers like claws. “Don’t forget that I have the nails of a lion.”
That shut me up the rest of the ride home, but the smirk on my face never went away.

Skye’s P.O.V.

“You can just sleep on the pullout couch,” I told Aaron as we entered the front door, me carrying his only two bags while he carried Naomi.
“Um. Where is the pullout couch?”
“Where it always-” I began, but then stopped myself when I saw the empty space where the couch used to be. “Wha-”
“You should try calling Adam.”
I sighed and pulled out my cell phone as I walked up to my room and closed the door. He better pick up. The first thing I was going to rant about was the little decision he made without me about Aaron staying over. Then…Where the hell is the couch!?
It rang twice before he picked up. “Hello, Angel,” he said sweetly, and I almost felt guilty that I was about to yell at him. Almost.
“Don’t you ‘Hello, Angel’ me! Why Aaron? And where is the couch? There‘s nowhere else for him to sleep. We‘re still working on the baby‘s room.”
I heard him chuckle through the phone. “I know, I know. Calm down. Don’t get so worked up, Beautiful. It’s a test for Aaron. I need to see if I could trust him around you. Think you can forgive me and help me out?” He put on a fake sweet voice that sounded like he was pouting.
“Ugh! I don’t believe you! You’d take the chance of your brother sleeping with your own wife just to see if you could trust him again!?”
“Please? I really need you to do this for me. I want to trust my brother again.”
I sighed. I could tell he was being honest when he said this. “You better not be expecting a little ‘Welcome Home’ gift when you come back,” I muttered.
“Oh, I’m not,” he said, sounding smug. Before I closed the phone, I heard him clearly say in a sing-song voice, “But I’m getting it anyway…”
“What!?” I shouted into the phone, but he had already hung up.
Ooooh, he’s gonna get it, alright…
I stomped back downstairs, and Aaron greeted me back with an unwelcoming welcome.
“What’s this about sleeping with me?” He asked, stifling a laugh.
Can it,” I told him, fiery. “I’m not in the mood. We’re going to have to share the bed.”
He opened his mouth to say something, probably something obnoxious, but I spoke before him. “You stay on your side, and I’ll stay on mine. Got it?”
He sighed in defeat and nodded.
I grabbed Naomi from Aaron’s arms and took her upstairs. I changed into my sleeping shorts and t-shirt, and Aaron walked in a few seconds later.
“Which is my side?” he asked.
“The left,” I sighed as I cozied into the right.
“Sweet dreams,” he teased once he was lying down.
“Ugh,” I replied, and doze off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment