Saturday, August 7, 2010

To Be Loved: Chapter Three

I was going to post these on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I couln't wait! I finally finished, finally figured out the ending, so I'll be posting the chapters daily now, and then I'll make you wait a few weeks for the sequel. Enjoy! =D

Aaron's P.O.V.

“Ugh. I need some water. I’m so tired.”
Elena giggled. “So tired that you forgot that we just finished painting these walls?”
I realized quickly that I had leaned against a wall without remembering that tiny fact and got off instantly. I looked over my shoulder. I was covered in yellow paint.
“Oh, great,” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. She laughed. Her laugh was so sweet. So beautiful. More soothing than any melody.
“I’ll get you that water,” she said, then made her way downstairs.
I covered the spot I’d just leaned against, and when I turned around, ice cold water spilled on my shirt.
“Damn it! Aaron, I’m so sorry, I-”
“Hey, it’s no big deal.”
I took it off and twisted up the shirt and squeezed some of the water out.
Elena wouldn’t look at me.
“Am I that ugly to look at?” I joked.
“Not at all,” she muttered.
I couldn’t have wiped the smirk off my face even if I’d wanted to.
“Hey, mind if I ask for another one of those favors?”
“What now?”
“Well, I was wondering if maybe you could hook me up with a job at the restaurant you work at. I hate my job as an assistant. All I do is get coffee for my boss.”
I laughed. “You really want to be with me all the time now, don’t you?”
“You don’t know how right you are,” she muttered sadly.
I stopped laughing. “What?”
Then she looked up at me with those big blue eyes of hers. “I think…I may have feelings for you.”
I sighed. If only.
“No,” I told her flatly, firmly. “You only think you do, out of guilt. But you love Adam.”
“Yes, I do, and a lot. But I love you, too.”
She was making this so much worse for me. I couldn’t take it. It ached me to know that she wanted to have feelings for me. But she was just confused. She truly loved Adam.
“You don’t love me.”
“I do.”
“No, you don’t,” I said through my teeth.
“Yes, I do,” she retorted stubbornly.
“You don’t!”
She crossed her arms. “Prove it.”
I looked up at the ceiling, letting out a puff of air.
As I looked back down at her, my brain was telling me, practically shouting at me, that this was a bad idea.
I leaned in as she closed her eyes.
Our lips met, and I tasted a piƱa colada kind of taste this time. Much sweeter than last time.
Her soft lips made me realize that she was just soft in general. Her lips, her eyes, her voice, her skin.. I wrapped my arms around her, and she rested her hands on my shoulders, slowly making their way to my back. I could feel her nails digging into my skin just from gripping on tightly.
I broke away slowly. “Now, compare that to when you kiss Adam,” I directed her.
“It’s…” she paused. “With Adam, it’s butterflies, but with you…it’s…fireworks.”
I put my face into my hands.
Why was she making this so complicated?
“It doesn’t matter anyway,” she whispered. “You don’t like me anymore.”
I looked up at her, and the corners of my lips twitched, tempting me to show a wide grin. “Trust me, that is definitely not the case here.”
Her eyes had a glint of hope in them as she stared up at me.
“But like you said,” I continued. “It doesn’t matter. Look, I just want you to be happy. But I want you to be happy with Adam. Alright?”
She merely nodded.
“I’ll be here at eight to pick you up for the job interview.”
I left the house and went to the beach.
I wished my brother luck. I had kissed those sweet lips for the last time. I’d only tasted strawberry and coconut. He will taste much more. Bubble gum, watermelon, vanilla, coconut, kiwi…

Skye’s P.O.V.

Adam came home tired, rubbing his neck.
I had already put on my shorts and T-shirt and was getting into bed, when I heard him come in.
“Were you having a meeting, or rehearsing?” I joked.
He grinned. “Meeting. But figures I’d pick the uncomfortable chair.”
I laughed. “Take off your shirt and sit down on the bed. I’ll give you a massage.”
He raised his eyebrow. “Since when are you a masseuse?”
I rolled my eyes. “Do you want one, or not?”
He shut up and took off his shirt as he sat on the bed. I sat behind him, legs crossed, and dug my thumbs softly into his neck, making my way to his shoulders. I pressed down into his skin, rubbing as I made little circles, around and around.
He was so tense.
“Relax. Take a deep breath,” I told him as I continued circling my thumbs into his muscles.
He did as I told, and I felt him loosen up. I ran my fingers up and down his back, hearing him sigh. I put my hands on his shoulders gently, then pushed my thumbs up into his neck again. Around and around…
He sighed once more. He grabbed the hand resting on his shoulder and held it up to his face. “You’re hands are so soft. So warm…”
He kissed my knuckles softly, and my head started to spin.
As he released my hand, I hugged him from behind, resting my chin on his shoulder.
“Thanks, beautiful, I already feel better.”
He wasn’t wearing cologne today, but I smelled a musky, minty scent. His scent. It intoxicated me.
“No problem. Hey, what were you doing yesterday? I didn’t see you the whole day.”
I felt him straighten up.
“Adam,” I said, trying to sound hurt. “Are you hiding something from me?”
He smiled.
“Well…I wanted it to be a surprise, but I might as well.”
He got up and pulled open a drawer, searching for something. He pulled out a sheet of paper and sat down next to me. He handed the sheet to me. “I’ve been writing a song. For you.”
I raised my eyebrow and looked down at the paper. At the top it said:
Seven Nights, One Day (Firelight)
“Lyrics?”
He nodded. He began to sing as I read along.
There are seven nights and one day in a week,
Oh, please, girl, don’t make me get on my knees,
You tell me there’re plenty of fish in the sea,
But you are the only mermaid for me,
I look in your eyes, there’s a fire burnin’
That firelight keeps my head on turnin’
I keep staring, won’t I ever start learnin’
The lyrics ended, and he stopped singing.
“That’s all I got.”
I was speechless. The way he sang the words were so beautiful, so perfect.
I felt tears in my eyes as I realized something.
I really was an idiot. I’d been spending so much time with Aaron, too much time, to try to figure out my feelings for him, that I’d completely forgotten about the love I had for Adam. We’ve never had a day to ourselves, never had some real time alone, with Adam always so busy with the band.
“It’s beautiful,” I finally managed, but my voice was only a whisper.
“I wanted to sing it at the wedding,” he muttered.
I looked at him in complete awe. He met my gaze. We stared at each other for what seemed like forever, when finally, he leaned in slowly.
Adam had always been gentle, giving me soft kisses, but this kiss was passionate.
It made my heart skip a beat.
He made his way down to my neck, his lips caressing my skin. He ran his fingers across my shoulder and down my arm, and his soft touch gave me goose bumps. He twisted his fingers into the spaces between mine.
“So warm…” he said as he kissed me, then pulled away. “Wait. Isn’t this supposed to be part of the honeymoon?” He was beginning to smirk.
“I can’t wait that long,” I breathed. He bit his lip, and pressed his lips to mine.
In my head, I was imagining the butterflies in my stomach fluttering up into the sky, and suddenly exploding into a star of colors, shining brightly and luminously in the blue of the night above my head.
Fireworks.

Aaron’s P.O.V.

“Damn,” I mumbled to myself. “Forgot my phone at their house.”
I grabbed my sweater and left my apartment.
When I got to their house, I grabbed the spare key that was always hidden under a plant and twisted the key into the hole. The door opened with ease.
They were probably asleep already. I didn’t want to wake them, so I tippy-toed to the little table right outside their room, where I‘d left my phone.
The door was closed. As I reached out for my phone, I froze.
I could hear them. Their long, passionate kisses…His heavy breathing…Her moans…
I got out of there. I didn’t even bother grabbing my phone.
I sat in the sand at the beach, soaking my toes when the water swiftly raised back up.
I heard them. Every single sound. It wouldn’t stop echoing in my head. I felt that annoying feeling in the back of my throat, tight and resisting to give in to the tears that were surely coming.
There was a soft breeze. It was soothing; it calmed me, though not enough.

I’ve been here for hours.
My eyes are heavy, but my heart is restless. I’m too tired to even sleep. I know that I’ll be here all night, and I know that I’d be alone the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment