Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wings:Chapter Seven And Eight

Monday's Chapter

Skye's P.O.V.

As soon as I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep, I appeared in the brightest place, nothing but the sky, and a flat white field around me. The middle of nowhere. Nonetheless, it was beautiful.
I saw Adam right in front of me from where I stood, my face deep in his chest. I quickly realized that I was in Adam’s embrace. I felt arms around my waist, and something even softer wrapping my entire body, as if we were both in a warm blanket.
But this was no blanket. There was nothing on earth as soft and warm as this. And as hard. It was stiff and as hard as steel, but yet, it was so blissfully soft. It made me feel protected and loved at the same time. It was the most heavenly thing I ever felt.
I lifted my face and observed what this thing surrounding us was.
They were…wings.
Holding me close to Adam.
My lip quivered as I looked up at Adam’s face. He was looking down at me, smiling.
“Hello, Angel,” he said softly.
“You’re the Angel here,” I whispered as I felt his wings. It was so steel-like, and yet, the feathers slipped through my fingers with ease.
“Your Angel,” he whispered back.
He let his wings spread out away from me. I took a step back.
He was so beautiful. There was a light, I noticed, that surrounded him. He was glowing all over. His violet eyes glowed with a grey around the edges that I’d never noticed before. His wings had a faint gold shimmer to them. And his smile, that had always seemed to gleam, was whiter than ever.
He reached down for my hand and slipped his fingers though mine.
He began pulling me forward, his way of insisting that I walk with him.
“They offered us a contract, you know,” he began casually. He looked over at me, waiting for me to say something, then continued when I didn’t.
“We had to turn it down.”
“What? Why?”
“Because I refused.” He shrugged and looked down at me again. “I never told you this, because I knew you would disagree, but I was going to quit the band once this was all over.”
“How come?” I asked
He let go of my hand and stopped walking. “Elena, I had you and Naomi to worry about. Do you actually think I’d leave you to perform around the world?”
I winced. “Was the offer that big?”
“Yes.”
“Then yeah, I do think that! Why didn’t you take it? It could have been such a big opportunity for you.”
“I don’t give a damn about opportunity when it comes to family,” he said in a strong voice. Then, in a softer tone, he told me, “I would give up anything for you and Naomi.”
When a tear made its way down my face, Adam said cautiously, afraid to set something off, “Being…an angel means that I have the knowledge. Of everything. Every thought that ever ran past your head, every moment in your life, every tragedy that you cried about, every feeling you’ve had, every secret you ever kept from me.” He paused to give me a second to take that all in. “I don’t know how my mind can just see it all, but it can. I know everything about you, Aaron, and everyone else in the whole world. Everything about the past, the present and future…And even how things would have been if they had occurred differently.”
I swallowed, realizing what he meant by this. He saw how it would have all turned out if he had never…died.
“Would you like to see?”
“Yes,” I whispered, nodding.
He took my hand again, and it all went black.
Then we were back in the hospital.

Today's Chapter

Skye's P.O.V.

I saw myself, with the same worried expression that I’d wore when I was anxiously waiting for news on Adam, Aaron by my side.
The same Dr. Alvarez attended us, and we stood.
“They’re all fine,” he assured us. “A few cuts, here and there, but they’ll be all better after some well-needed rest.”
I watched myself sigh in relief. “Take me to him,” the replica in front of me requested, the same thing I had said before, but now in an anxious voice.
Adam and I followed the clones down the same hallway, into the same room. Everything was the same in the scene that had been, except this time, I was relieved and happy as I saw Adam walk out of the room, a large bandage wrapped around his waist. The bruises and scratches were not as graphic as they had actually been.
Dr. Alvarez walked back the way we had come, and I dug my face into Adam’s chest. He whimpered quietly as he flinched, and I leaned away quickly. “I’m sorry,” my clone told Adam’s clone. The fake Adam smiled. “Worth it,” he said, then pulled me back into him.
“Glad you’re not dead,” the fake Aaron muttered softly. I watched as I pulled away from Adam to let him face Aaron. Adam laughed. “Glad you didn’t hope I was.”
Aaron joined him in his laugh, and then they both stopped abruptly.
And then, just when I thought that Adam and Aaron could never repeat what they had done at the wedding, they pulled each other into a firm hug, patting each other softly on the back.
The scene in front of me fainted slowly, then disappeared entirely, and we were back at the white field.
Adam squeezed my hand and held it up to where his heart should have been, but I couldn’t feel it beating. I sucked in a breath of air.
“Whether I’m dead or alive, Skye, I’ll always watch over you and Naomi.” He paused, then continued. “And like I said, I know everything. And I know that you love me, but I know that you love Aaron much more. Maybe you don’t know it, but I do. So I want you to be with him.”
I looked over at him, tears in my eyes. “But-”
He placed a finger over my lips. “Being with someone else doesn’t necessarily mean you have to let go.”
I sighed in relief, realizing what his words meant. That I could live my life and not have to worry about losing him.
“I’ll always be with you, watching over you, in your heart, in your dreams.” Adam placed his hand on my cheek and closed his eyes. He opened them again. “I love you. And I always will.”
He leaned in, and pressed his lips against mine.
It was the most heavenly thing I ever felt, better than the warm and protected feeling of his wings around me, holding me close to Adam. Better than any kiss from him before, any from Aaron.
It was pure bliss.
And then he was fading.
No! I thought. You can’t slip through my fingers. Not now.
I was alone in the white field.
My eyes flew open.

Ninth Chapter! (Bonus for understanding my late posting.)


I stayed frozen where I was for a few moments, making sure that I remembered every second of that dream, relived when I realized I did. I remembered it as clearly as I would have remembered it if it had actually happened.
My heart racing, I heard Aaron next to me ask, “Are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost.”
“Not a ghost,” I said slowly. “An angel.”
He raised an eyebrow.
“I saw Adam,” I explained.
He looked at me in sympathy. “Skye, I’m sorry, but it was just a dream.”
“No, it wasn’t. Well, it was, but he-” I froze as I saw something glow a feint gold light. I gasped as I reached out for the feather laying on Aaron’s shoulder and held it up in front of his face. His eyes widened as he observed.
“Still don’t believe me?”
His hands began shaking. “I…I don’t-”
“Here.” I put the feather in his hand. “Try to bend it.”
He did as he was told, and when he couldn’t no matter how hard he struggled, he exhaled in shock. “B-but how?” he stammered.
I put my hand on his cheek. “Because it really was him,” I whispered.
I felt his body shiver. “What…what did he say?”
I looked down at my hand as I let it fall from his face. “To move on. To live my life and be happy. With you.”
He lifted my head with his hand. “Are you?” He asked me, hopeful.
I closed my eyes and sighed. I remembered Adam’s words about living my life and not having to let go. Nothing else could possibly make me feel more at peace than knowing that I could trust his reassuring words.
I felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders as I realized that I didn’t really lose Adam at all. He was gone, and I had felt like the world would end when I accepted this, but he would always be with me, watching over us.
I opened my eyes.
“Yes,” I answered.
He smiled the biggest smile I’d ever seen from him, and for the first time ever, as he rested his lips on mine, I felt no guilt, felt that this is what Adam would want for me, felt that I could finally be truly happy.

Final Chapter will be posted on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment