Friday, September 10, 2010

Wings: Final Chapter!

Aaron’s P.O.V.

I searched and searched through the papers for the drawing of Elena, finding nothing.
“Looking for this?”
I froze. I turned slowly, and realized even slower that my brother was standing right in front of me, holding up the drawing. He held it out and waited for me to grab it.
I reached out for it, feeling a strange warmth as I gripped it carefully between my fingers.
“Just wanted to say good luck,” Adam told me, smirking. “Elena won’t be easy.”
“I kind of figured that out already,” I muttered.
He laughed, then looked at me sincerely. “I’ll miss you guys like hell.”
I smiled. “Luckily, that’s not where you’re going.” I lowered my voice. “I’ll miss you, too.”
“Take care of her and my Naomi for me. This isn’t goodbye, but I still just wanted to let you know that I’ll always be watching, so don’t think of doing anything stupid.” He gave me a look of warning. “If you ever break Elena’s heart…you don’t even want to know.”
I shook my head. “I could never hurt her.” I looked down at Elena’s drawn face.
“Thank you, Adam,” I whispered, still looking down. “I promise you, I’ll try to make her as happy as you did.”
“No,” he told me. “You’ll make her much happier. I know you will.”
“There was something I always wanted to ask you, but I was afraid you’d get mad.”
“What is it?”
“How’s she in bed?” But when I looked back up, he was gone, leaving a golden piece of paper in his place on the floor. I picked up his note.
Find out for yourself, the paper read, and I smirked.
I ran back downstairs where I found Elena thanking Diego and Cam for watching Naomi while we were gone, the drawing and Adam’s note in my hands.
I noticed little Naomi and the dog Cam had gotten for me as a present sleeping on the pullout couch, which Elena had found in the basement a few days ago.
After they left, Elena took Naomi up to her crib, and we plopped down on the bed. She was suddenly on top of me, biting her lip and leaning in seductively. Her lips met mine, and I pulled her closer, not wanting to let her go for even a second, now that I finally had her all to myself.
I was relieved that I could finally be with her without feeling guilty, without having to restrain myself.
I pulled away slowly, and laughed when I saw that she hadn’t wanted me to. “I thought you said it was too soon?” I told her, smug.
She shrugged, and I pulled Adam’s note out of my pocket. “I saw Adam and asked him how you were in bed,” I explained, holding out the paper to her.
Her eyes skimmed the note, then looked back at me and the smile on my face.
“Oh, shut up and kiss me,” she muttered, throwing the paper over her shoulder.
Happy to oblige, I thought as I laid my lips on hers, anxious to have her in my arms as I‘d imagined so many times.
Finally.

Epilogue

Skye’s P.O.V.

We had done something special for Adam’s funeral. Since he had always wanted to go to Brazil, and he surprised me by taking me there on our honeymoon, we decided to whip up a ceremony in his honor. We wanted his memory to live on, not bury it in the depths of our mind like the majority of people. Everyone that knew Adam, Aaron, Naomi, the dog and I, his mother and her boyfriend and daughter, my father, Noah and Ariana, and even Cam and Diego, came dressed in white. We all gathered at a beach in Rio and got in a circle in the water just before sunset. Everyone said a few words, then threw a white rose in the center.
Everyone had returned back home to San Diego except for the four of us. Aaron had insisted on staying her a while longer, why, I didn’t know.
And now I was meeting him at the beach. I hadn’t seen him the whole day. I’d just found a note.
We’ll be waiting at the beach at sunset, it read. I have a surprise for the family.
My throat had tightened at the word family.
When I got there, I found him with Naomi and Charlie, which is what he had named the dog, sitting on a checkered blanket surrounded by rose petals and candles.
“A picnic?” I asked him as I walked up to them, touched.
“It’s more than a picnic. Isn’t it, Squirt?” he said, looking down at Naomi as he stood. Then he looked at me, his adoring eyes melting my heart. “It’s a proposal,” he finished.
I felt my lips begin to quiver as he got on one knee, pulling out a ring. I found it ironic that Adam’s twin was proposing to me. Déjà vu.
“I love you, Elena,” he told me. “And nothing would make me happier than for you to marry me.”
“Not one for words, are you?” I asked him as I took the ring from his hand and placed it on my finger.
“You know I’m more of one to take action,” he said, rising, smirking the smug smile I’d seen too many times.
“You can say that again,” I said smiling as I laid my lips on his, his hands around my waist holding me closer as the sun disappeared behind the horizon.
Charlie barked and Naomi cooed loudly, and I realized this really was family. A family that I could expand with Aaron, and nothing would make me happier than to do so. I smiled as we kissed, knowing that there was only one thing to call this joy I felt.
Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment