Friday, June 8, 2012

Free Write #1

Her eyes showed extreme sadness.
The poignant, faraway look she gave everyone didn’t fool me.
Lucy was a senior, like me. We never talked, or even hung out, but I’ve known her all four years; I know everything about her. She has two brothers, which she usually has to take care of because her mom’s a nurse working overtime at a hospital almost every night. She was always quiet; she had little friends, and even then, she hardly talked to them.
What did she look so worried for? The year was so close to over, we’d be off to college soon. The only thing left to take care of were the tests next week, prom, then graduation. She should look happier than ever.
But she isn’t.
This bugged me for the rest of the day, no matter how hard I tried to let it go. The bell announcing the beginning of 5th period rang. It was my lunch period, so I slumped into my seat, exhausted after waking up so early and starting gym first period.
“Jeremy?”
My heart froze as I heard her sweet voice. I turned quickly, admiring her beautiful features standing before me. Her reddish-brown hair fell in curls around her face, her bangs almost reaching her eyes. Her rosy-pink lips glistened in the sun peaking in through the windows. What always took my breathe away were her hazel eyes, a beautiful blend of grey, brown, and jade.
Her nervous smile is what caught me most off-guard. The fact that she was even talking to me seemed strange.
“Uh-um. Yeah? Do you need something?”
She set her books down on the table and sat at the edge of the chair. “Well, I…I was wondering-”
“Oh, please,” A rough voice came from behind. Not even two seconds later, Terry Johnson sat himself between Lucy and me. “Hope you’re not asking this loser to prom,” Terry said in a contemptuous tone, pointing his obvious annoyance toward me. Then, in a softer voice sang, “You should be asking someone like me.”
“As a matter of fact,” she retorted, talking the loudest I’ve ever heard her these four years. “I was asking him, before you so rudely interrupted. Besides, I would never go out with someone as self-centered as you. Jerks just aren’t my type.”
I stifled a laugh, realizing that the most popular jock in school just got burned from the quietest girl I’ve ever known.
Terry grunted. “Whatever, plenty of girls would die to go with me,” he mumbled, acting ambiguous, then walked away.
Lucy took a deep breath then looked back at me. “Well since he pretty much told you what I was going to say, I might as well tell you what I wasn’t going to. I’ve liked you for a long time, ever since freshman year, really. I always thought you had a cute smile, and your dimples are adorable.”
I grinned a little, probably showing off my huge dimples.
“You always tried to be nice, and I would never even say a word. I was always so nervous to talk to you. ‘Cause I figured a guy like you would never be into a girl like me. I would always get choked up when I tried to talk, but-”
I leaned in, pressing my lips softly against hers, doing what both us have wanted to do for so long, sensing a serene feeling washing over both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment